I'm a native Washingtonian - born in Alexandria and raised in Silver Spring. I hardly attended class at John F. Kennedy High School. Was too busy running the school radio station. (The same one I brought in from my bedroom. My parents got sick of all the loud music.) Anyway, 40+ years later, I'm on the air at my favorite hometown station, 97.1 WASH-FM. I'm blessed to be married to a wonderful New Jersey gurl and have two amazing teenagers that keep me busy and happily frustrated. Thanks for reading AND listening!
Unlike most people who live in the DC area...I'm actually FROM here. I was born in Northwest, DC and raised in Vienna, Virginia. I'm first generation Armenian-American. Shortly after graduating from Mary Washington College (now it's University of Mary Washington), I was lucky enough to land a radio gig back in DC. I've worked on the air in this market since 1996, as a news reporter/anchor, morning show side-kick, afternoon personality and traffic reporter.
A little more about my personal interests... I'm a book worm (I've been known to read at least one novel a week). My favorite book is "To Kill a Mockingbird". I'm addicted to "Grey's Anatomy", "Boardwalk Empire", "Game of Thrones", "The Following", "The Americans" and "Breaking Bad"...don't even think about calling me during those shows! My favorite movie of all-time is "Rocky." One of the highlights of my career was interviewing Sylvester Stallone.
After several heartbreaks, I finally met a guy who actually MEANT it when he said "I want to marry you someday." My husband (Don) and I met in December 2007... and got married on May 22nd, 2011. Like me... Don is also a native Washingtonian.
Also: I don't like walking on grates, I'm SUPER competitive, I have a tendency to "sing speak" when I get excited (you may even hear me do it on the air sometimes...LOL). I've become a HUGE Washington Capitals fan since meeting my husband. Oh...and I'm a pop culture junkie. My guilty pleasures are bad reality TV and celebrity gossip.
Eileen Cosgrove, who teaches 5nd grade at Colin Powell Elementary School in Centreville. She wins a $100 dollar gift card to the Goodstone Inn & Resort in Middleburg. Thanks to Barbara Paris of Centerville who nominated her and wins Sprinkles Cupcakes from their Georgetown location. Here's what Barbara wrote about Eileen:
"My daughter Melissa is currently a grad student working towards her masters in Elementary Education. She was paired up with Ms. Cosgrove to do some field observation. Ms. Cosgrove was fabulous. She made my daughter very comfortable for the moment she walked into the classroom. She is a teacher that gives every student her best. She makes the classroom an enjoyable place to be and a great place to learn."
You too can nominate a teacher. Just CLICK HERE! We'll announce our next WASH-FM TEACHER OF THE WEEK on Monday, December 16th around 6:30AM! - Loo
"CONGRATULATIONS, Chilli - Your precious baby is absolutely beautiful! May your family have the best!!!" - Louise McNairn
"Your little one is so adorable – congrats to your wonderful family. Wish you all the best." - Theresa King
"What a cutie! Congrats!" - Joan Bell"
"Congratulations, Chilli. Little Donato is just beautiful. All the best to you and Don." - Anne Scott
CLICK HERE TO ALSO POST YOUR GOOD WISHES TOO! - Thanks. Loo
The LOO & CHILLI CUPCAKE PRESENTATION PATROL recently made a stop at the Kettler Community of The Fields of Gaithersburg. We dropped off a bunch of SPRINKLES CUPCAKES to Liz Martinez and her boss James. Notice 3 have already been eaten. Hmm.
(photo credit: Loo Katz)
CLICK HERE to sign up for free cupcakes. We could be coming to your workplace soon! - Loo & Chilli
NBC4's Tom Kierein is part of our WASH-FM Morning Show weekdays from 5AM until 9AM. Whatever kind of weather is out there, he'll provide you with the most acurate and dependable forecasts available. Listen for Tom's reports all morning long on 97.1 WASH-FM!
Click HERE for his latest weather forecast!
(photo credit: Shutterstock)
This country really loves it ALCOHOL. We've got the results here of a massive new survey on drinking in America.
According to PR Newswire, here are the TOP 10 FINDINGS:
1. The average American says they have 277 drinks per year, which averages out to about five a week. But they ACTUALLY have 819 drinks a year, or almost 16 a week.
2. The four states that drink the most are Maine, Wyoming, Alaska, and Delaware.
3. The top three most popular drinks are beer, vodka, and red wine.
4. America's favorite beer is Blue Moon. Sam Adams came in second, and Bud Light came in third.
5. The most popular cocktail for men is rum and coke...for women it's a margarita. The most popular shot for men is a Jagerbomb...for women it's a lemon drop.
6. The three drinks that cause the worst hangovers are tequila, vodka, and red wine.
7. 50% of people have been hungover at work. The five jobs where people are most likely to work with a hangover are waiters, realtors, sales, cops, and chefs.
8. Women are 40% more likely to drunk dial an ex than men.
9. Men are three times more likely than women to try to cure a hangover by having sex.
10. The sports fans who drink the most are...GOLF fans. The rest of the top five drunkest sports fans are auto racing, hockey, baseball, and football.