For instance, only a quarter of parents think their kids text and drive...but HALF of all teens admit to doing it.
According to PR Newswire, here's a list of the TOP 10 THINGS PARENTS DON'T KNOW ABOUT TEEN DRIVER SAFETY:
1. Car crashes are the TOP cause of death for American teenagers.
2. The most dangerous time of a teenager's life is the FIRST 12 MONTHS after getting a driver's license.
3. A teenager's risk of crashing is THREE TIMES higher than for people over 20.
4. Most crashes involving teenage drivers are because of inexperience, NOT recklessness.
5. A single teenage passenger raises the fatal crash risk for a teenage driver by 44 percent. And three or more passengers QUADRUPLES the risk.
6. Most fatal nighttime crashes for teen drivers happen between 9 PM and midnight.
7. More than half of all teens killed in car crashes were not wearing seatbelts.
8. Most states' driving restrictions don't give adequate protection to teenage drivers.
9. 80-percent of all teens say their PARENTS influence their driving habits the most.
10. The risk of crashing for young driver doesn't start to decrease significantly until they get to be 25 years old.