Photo: Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer / Poster
If you're looking for a good, scary movie that's at least somewhat family-friendly, there's a list online of 21 PG-Rated Movies That Are Actually Terrifying.
Here are a few:
1. "Jaws", 1975. This one would have probably been PG-13, if that rating had existed at the time. But that rating wasn't created until July of 1984.
2. "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory", 1971. There are some pretty trippy scenes . . . plus the fact that Wonka doesn't seem to care if any of these kids live or die.
3. "Poltergeist", 1982. Another one that probably would have been PG-13. One guy rips his face off and there's an evil clown doll among other things.
4. "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom", 1984. This one has sacrificial heart-ripping and monkey brain-eating. The PG-13 rating was instituted not long after this one came out.
5. "Ghostbusters", 1984. There's the scary librarian ghost, not to mention Sigourney Weaver's possession.
For the rest, check out BuzzFeed's list of 21!